The Steampunk Bible: An Illustrated Guide to the World of Imaginary Airships, Corsets and Goggles, Mad Scientists, and Strange Literature - Bruce Sterling, Jeff VanderMeer, Jake von Slatt, Libby Bulloff, Evelyn Kriete, S.J. Chambers, G.D. Falksen, Desirina Boskovich, J. Daniel Sawyer, Rick Klaw, Jess Nevins, Catherynne M. Valente
A glorious book. It's not a cheat's guide to Steampunk -- which I admit I kind of feared when I read the title.

It talks about Steampunk and the people who create and enjoy that world. It starts from first principles, from the values underlying people's involvement.

It's a book about choosing how you'll live in the world. What do we hope for the future? What do we fear?

It's a celebration of ingenuity and creativity, a celebration of living with joy with values and behaviours aligned, and within a community.

What amazed me was how much it prompted me to look at my world anew; the values I live with and how they align with my lifestyle. And I'm not a steampunk--maybe I should be?

Bruce Sterling has a couple of pages at the beginning of the book which are gold. I could quote the whole lot, but here's two sentences:

"Steampunk's key lessons are not about the past. They are about the instability and obsolescence of our own times." p.12