Jilted - Rachael Johns
Despite trying to go digital with my book buying this year, I couldn’t resist buying Jilted by Rachael Johns in paper copy. Not to brag or anything, but I went to Rachael’s book signing and got an autographed copy.

Australian Rural Romances weren’t a big part of my reading habit until this year — and boy was I missing out.

Like the small town romances published by Harlequin in the USA, these Aussie romances tend to celebrate the relationships that keep people going in tough times. They’re not all rainbows and fairydust, either. As with Jilted, there are strong emotional dramas at the heart of the stories.

I had a bit of a sniffle as I read Jilted. First love, second chances is one of my favourite tropes. I was engaged by Ellie and Flynn’s difficult journey. Old hurts aren’t magically forgotten, but they have both grown and continue to mature through the story. And they’re not perfect people. I liked that. It made them real.

I don’t want to give away any of the twists in the story, but I can tell you that while I saw a couple of them coming, I definitely got smacked by one twist in particular.

Jilted is a celebration of life in the country that doesn’t glamorise it, but does reveal a love and respect for the people who live and work on the land.