Mel Goes to Hell (Mel Goes to Hell, #3) - Demelza Carlton

I was determined to have a quiet Christmas this year -- and did! But somehow, I still got distracted from writing. So today is the start of the mad scramble to catch up. I really don't want to start 2015 running late.

At the same time, I really want to abandon everything and keep reading "Mel Goes to Hell" - lots of sly humour that I'm loving.

Plus my latest steampunk story, "The Icarus Plot", releases on Jan 3 (and is free that day) so I'm totally distracted and dreaming up tweets about that since I don't want anyone missing out on grabbing it free -- which is not altruistic of me: I'm hoping all the free downloads might trigger Amazon's algorithms in the story's favour -- yes, I also believe in Santa Claus ;)

Has anyone read "The Establishment" by Owen Jones? The Guardian gave it a great review and I'd like to read it -- but $15 for an ebook is steep and my local library doesn't have it. I'm wondering whether it's worth asking them to get it in.

The blurb: Behind our democracy lurks a powerful but unaccountable network of people who wield massive power and reap huge profits in the process. In exposing this shadowy and complex system that dominates our lives, Owen Jones sets out on a journey into the heart of our Establishment, from the lobbies of Westminster to the newsrooms, boardrooms and trading rooms of Fleet Street and the City. Exposing the revolving doors that link these worlds, and the vested interests that bind them together, Jones shows how, in claiming to work on our behalf, the people at the top are doing precisely the opposite. In fact, they represent the biggest threat to our democracy today - and it is time they were challenged.